According to the Minnesota DOT, Preparing Roads for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles, the infrastructure considerations for CAV include the following:
- Pavement Markings – width and material.
- Signing – standardized, easily visible, and not blocked, damaged or faded.
- Traffic Signals – Create space at signal control cabinets for additional hardware related to CAV technologies.
- Consistency and Standardization – Install and maintain striping, signing and signals consistent with CAV algorithms and technologies.
- Pavement Maintenance.
- Data Capture and Information Sharing – Begin or continue collecting and organizing data for bridge heights, speed limits, load restrictions, crosswalks, roadway curvatures and other infrastructure characteristics.
- Communication Infrastructure. – In new construction and information technology infrastructure built for agency use, ensure adequate conduits for power and fiber optic cables.
- High-Resolution Mapping – Consider developing high-resolution mapping capabilities (MnDOT 2019).
Categories: General, Public